I thought the reasons listed for why students should read nonfiction was surprising. I feel like the first one was kind of obvious yet I hadn't thought of it like this: nonfiction is what students are actually reading. Why shouldn't we be supporting that? The fact that another reason is because the boundaries between fiction and nonfiction are indistinct (Milner 277) was interesting. I hadn't thought of that either. But it’s true nonetheless. There are some books that we think are fiction, and to our surprise, it’s real. It works both ways. I've known about the critical challenges to the literary canon, but again, I hadn't thought of them as a reason to support teaching nonfiction. But there is no doubt about nonfiction’s instructional potential: “They meet students at the reading place where their students read; information texts that are worldly, timely, and full of new information.” (Milner, 278). In other words, nonfiction texts can help struggling readers. When they are reading things that are relevant and true about the world, they really can’t complain, “Why are we reading this?” There is no reason why we should leave nonfiction out of the classroom.
Gere 10: Language and Reflection The Social Dimensions of Schooling
I appreciated this chapter for its honesty. I felt like we read through all the things we were supposed to do in the classroom, and now it’s telling us all the problems we are going to run into once we get out into the field. I have no doubt that there will be issues in regards to the curriculum; even now, the battle rages on. Tracking is an interesting issue, one which I personally find hard to pick a side on. But Gere even says that it’s difficult to determine for English because it’s not as straightforward (275-276). I think tracking can be helpful for teachers, but I know there are labels that go with it, following students for their entire educational careers.
Russell 10: Classroom Assessment Commercial Standardized Achievement Tests
There is no need for me to mention that I dislike standardized tests, but I just did anyway. The potential misinterpretations are huge. “Even when there are no problems with test content, norms, and administration, standardized test scores still are over interpreted.” (327). There is too much dependence on these tests for students. Too many students feel like their lives depend on the results of these tests. Our country needs to take a step back and look at what their precious standardized tests are doing to our students.
I like the points you took out of Bridging English in regard to incorporating nonfiction in the classroom. By using what students are already reading we can meet them at their level and then push them further. So many opportunities are created in this manner.
In regard to tracking, I had similar feelings; it's tough to take a definite stance on the issue. I have definitely seen ways in which tracking has been detrimental, but I have also seen ways in which it has been beneficial. One of my friends in high school was tracked into level 2 math and science (the lowest level in my high school's tracking system). She didn't think it was right so she worked hard in her freshman year to get placed in a higher track. By senior year, she was taking AP calculus, chemistry, and biology. And she went on to Worcester PolyTech, to major in some form of engineering. Had she remained in her original track, she may have not had such opportunities. I would like to hope that she was one small overlook or mistake in the tracking system. But at the same time, I can't help but think, what if there are other students like her, that are wrongly tracked and never realize their full potential? It's definitely a serious issue.
Chapter 10 of Classroom Assessment thoroughly assessed commercial standardized achievement tests. I liked how this chapter presented both the pros and cons associated with the tests and also explained common misunderstandings and misconceptions. The way this chapter explains interpretation of test scores was especially helpful. Even though this is a concept I have generally understood, it broke it down in a way that will be helpful for explaining it to others. I can imagine that for many parents, interpreting standardized test scores can be a very confusing undertaking.
I also thoroughly agree with the position this chapter took on standardized assessment vs. day to day teacher produced assessments. Russell and Airasian state, “while the information provided by the 40 or so multiple-choice items found in a typical commercial subtest is useful, it can never match the information a teacher accumulates through daily instruction and assessment of students” (2008, p. 327). At the end of the day, the teacher knows the students: their progress, their potential, and even what they need to be more successful; a standardized test will never truly demonstrate that.
In chapter 9 of Bridging English, Milner et. al discuss the teaching of nonfiction. I found the subheading “Blurred Genres” to be of particular interest. As a reader, I have always found it difficult how nonfiction is defined as a category. The fact that this text highlights the blurriness of the genre reinforced my feelings. However, at the end of the day, regardless of whether a book is straddling the lines of fiction and nonfiction, I think it’s important to bring nonfiction into the classroom. With nonfiction especially, we can teach students how to be critical of what they are reading. Students can analyze whether a book has a hidden agenda, whether the writer includes or excludes particular details and why. Today, people are exposed to hundreds of ads a day. In this age of advertising and marketing, it’s important for students to develop a critical eye. Nonfiction provides an excellent avenue in which to introduce this concept.
I agree with what you wrote about from Classroom Assessment- I appreciated reading about the pros and cons, as well as reading about the misconceptions. You bring up an interesting point when you bring parents into the picture of standardized testing. I made the case of the stress that these tests put on students, but I think there is a lot of stress that can be put on parents as well. They need to learn about the misconceptions of these tests too.
The issue of standardized assessment vs. day to day teacher produced assessment is huge. I couldn't agree more- teachers will always know their students better, and standardized tests will never truly demonstrate what teacher made assessments can prove what students are capable of doing. I think that is what I find most frustrating about standardized tests. Everything depends on the results, but they do not express all that students are capable of doing. I still think they serve a purpose- to get an idea of what students know and what they need to work on. I don’t think I would mind them so much if the world didn't revolve around the results.
Milner 9: Bridging English
ReplyDeleteAssaying Nonfiction
I thought the reasons listed for why students should read nonfiction was surprising. I feel like the first one was kind of obvious yet I hadn't thought of it like this: nonfiction is what students are actually reading. Why shouldn't we be supporting that? The fact that another reason is because the boundaries between fiction and nonfiction are indistinct (Milner 277) was interesting. I hadn't thought of that either. But it’s true nonetheless. There are some books that we think are fiction, and to our surprise, it’s real. It works both ways. I've known about the critical challenges to the literary canon, but again, I hadn't thought of them as a reason to support teaching nonfiction. But there is no doubt about nonfiction’s instructional potential: “They meet students at the reading place where their students read; information texts that are worldly, timely, and full of new information.” (Milner, 278). In other words, nonfiction texts can help struggling readers. When they are reading things that are relevant and true about the world, they really can’t complain, “Why are we reading this?” There is no reason why we should leave nonfiction out of the classroom.
Gere 10: Language and Reflection
The Social Dimensions of Schooling
I appreciated this chapter for its honesty. I felt like we read through all the things we were supposed to do in the classroom, and now it’s telling us all the problems we are going to run into once we get out into the field. I have no doubt that there will be issues in regards to the curriculum; even now, the battle rages on. Tracking is an interesting issue, one which I personally find hard to pick a side on. But Gere even says that it’s difficult to determine for English because it’s not as straightforward (275-276). I think tracking can be helpful for teachers, but I know there are labels that go with it, following students for their entire educational careers.
Russell 10: Classroom Assessment
Commercial Standardized Achievement Tests
There is no need for me to mention that I dislike standardized tests, but I just did anyway. The potential misinterpretations are huge. “Even when there are no problems with test content, norms, and administration, standardized test scores still are over interpreted.” (327). There is too much dependence on these tests for students. Too many students feel like their lives depend on the results of these tests. Our country needs to take a step back and look at what their precious standardized tests are doing to our students.
I like the points you took out of Bridging English in regard to incorporating nonfiction in the classroom. By using what students are already reading we can meet them at their level and then push them further. So many opportunities are created in this manner.
DeleteIn regard to tracking, I had similar feelings; it's tough to take a definite stance on the issue. I have definitely seen ways in which tracking has been detrimental, but I have also seen ways in which it has been beneficial. One of my friends in high school was tracked into level 2 math and science (the lowest level in my high school's tracking system). She didn't think it was right so she worked hard in her freshman year to get placed in a higher track. By senior year, she was taking AP calculus, chemistry, and biology. And she went on to Worcester PolyTech, to major in some form of engineering. Had she remained in her original track, she may have not had such opportunities. I would like to hope that she was one small overlook or mistake in the tracking system. But at the same time, I can't help but think, what if there are other students like her, that are wrongly tracked and never realize their full potential? It's definitely a serious issue.
Chapter 10 of Classroom Assessment thoroughly assessed commercial standardized achievement tests. I liked how this chapter presented both the pros and cons associated with the tests and also explained common misunderstandings and misconceptions. The way this chapter explains interpretation of test scores was especially helpful. Even though this is a concept I have generally understood, it broke it down in a way that will be helpful for explaining it to others. I can imagine that for many parents, interpreting standardized test scores can be a very confusing undertaking.
ReplyDeleteI also thoroughly agree with the position this chapter took on standardized assessment vs. day to day teacher produced assessments. Russell and Airasian state, “while the information provided by the 40 or so multiple-choice items found in a typical commercial subtest is useful, it can never match the information a teacher accumulates through daily instruction and assessment of students” (2008, p. 327). At the end of the day, the teacher knows the students: their progress, their potential, and even what they need to be more successful; a standardized test will never truly demonstrate that.
In chapter 9 of Bridging English, Milner et. al discuss the teaching of nonfiction. I found the subheading “Blurred Genres” to be of particular interest. As a reader, I have always found it difficult how nonfiction is defined as a category. The fact that this text highlights the blurriness of the genre reinforced my feelings. However, at the end of the day, regardless of whether a book is straddling the lines of fiction and nonfiction, I think it’s important to bring nonfiction into the classroom. With nonfiction especially, we can teach students how to be critical of what they are reading. Students can analyze whether a book has a hidden agenda, whether the writer includes or excludes particular details and why. Today, people are exposed to hundreds of ads a day. In this age of advertising and marketing, it’s important for students to develop a critical eye. Nonfiction provides an excellent avenue in which to introduce this concept.
Cassandra,
DeleteI agree with what you wrote about from Classroom Assessment- I appreciated reading about the pros and cons, as well as reading about the misconceptions. You bring up an interesting point when you bring parents into the picture of standardized testing. I made the case of the stress that these tests put on students, but I think there is a lot of stress that can be put on parents as well. They need to learn about the misconceptions of these tests too.
The issue of standardized assessment vs. day to day teacher produced assessment is huge. I couldn't agree more- teachers will always know their students better, and standardized tests will never truly demonstrate what teacher made assessments can prove what students are capable of doing. I think that is what I find most frustrating about standardized tests. Everything depends on the results, but they do not express all that students are capable of doing. I still think they serve a purpose- to get an idea of what students know and what they need to work on. I don’t think I would mind them so much if the world didn't revolve around the results.