Sunday, November 3, 2013

OLF 9

Please respond to Chapter 7 in Milner, Chapter 7 in Russell, and Chapter 7 in Gere. The syllabus outlines the requirements for OLFs.

14 comments:

  1. In Chapter Seven of Bridging English (2012), Milner et al. state that we, as teachers, should keep in mind that it is our responsibility to “teach the reader rather than the reading” (p. 210). This is a perfect way to summarize this chapter and indeed much of what Milner et al. discuss in Bridging English as a whole. English teachers sometimes place too much emphasis on teaching what is written on the page and not enough on teaching their students successful learning strategies and processes. When addressing struggling readers, Milner et al. encourage teachers to help them understand practices “good readers” use in order to successfully approach texts (2012, p. 210). Teaching the reader instead of the text requires creativity in the classroom, which sometimes means dismissing classic texts or “canon” works in favor of contemporary and young adult literature (2012, p. 222). These types of literature, after all, are more accessible and more interesting for most young readers while simultaneously introducing students to models of adult fiction in preparation for more complex texts (2012, p. 223). I am a particularly strong advocate for young adult fiction because it is because of this genre that I first discovered my own passion for reading. I confess that before forcing myself to read the Harry Potter series in the eighth grade, I found reading to be a very tedious activity. I never expected to actually like it one day—never mind love it and devote my life to teaching it!

    Furthermore, Russell and Airasian (2012) discuss the process of “universal design” in relation to assessing students in Chapter Seven of Classroom Assessment. Just as Milner et al. tell us to focus on the reader, Russell and Airasian emphasize focus on the test-taker as they discuss making test structures that are accessible to as many students as possible through clear and precise test item formulation (2012, p. 182). In determining the approachability of test items, teachers must understand both the “intended” and the “unintended” constructs students will encounter while taking the test and take steps to modify questions if necessary for comprehension (2012, p. 181).

    Lastly, Gere et al. also illustrate a student-centered model in their chapter addressing the “language as social construct” approach. I specifically like that this method requires an environment in which students use language to explore and understand the world around them, set goals for themselves as learners, and create a supportive cultural community within the classroom (1992, pp. 190-191).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate,

      That Milner quote is a good one. In an age of high stakes testing and mandated curricula it is easy to lose sight of the fact that our students are not one size fits all and should be truly learning! The practices good readers use seems familiar, no? I feel like we’ve been talking about that a lot in our Reading in the Content Areas, and with so much reading for our classes I have been trying to keep those strategies in mind for my own studies.

      The concept of Universal Design is so important, but seems so easy to mess up! It is true that we are testing our students on their content knowledge, not their reading ability, but that seems a daunting task when so much of what we do as ELA teachers revolves around reading text.

      The language as a social construct approach definitely has an Atwellian workshop feel to it. Like you, I also really like this method. I can picture my classroom working somewhat like this, and these ideals are directly in line with the quote from Milner you spoke of at the beginning of your post. However, I’m back to that same dilemma; how do we implement this type of environment when there is such a strong movement towards structure in the classroom?

      ~Trish

      Delete

  2. I feel strongly about the relevance of Sarah’s approach in Gere. I agree that “teaching English is teaching literacy” (p.187); Teachers are obliged to help their students do so much more than read and reflect on works such as Shakespeare or The Odyssey, teachers can teach students the tools they need to understand and make sense of any text, any situation, they encounter into their adulthood. She takes the right approach for the community of students she teaches in, and she brings the larger community into her classroom. I would not have predicted that this chapter was going to talk about Vygotsky’s Zone of Proximal development, but it makes sense; Sarah is meeting her students where they are and encouraging them to move forward. The Language as a Social Construct approach is all about empowering students to their own benefit, which is a tricky concept: traditionally educational institutions have sought to remove the power from their students to maintain order. However, I don’t think empowering students will create anarchy within the class, quite the contrary, because students will be inspired to facilitate their own learning.

    Russell’s book is always a bit of a splash of water in the face because I realize summative assessments can be easily biased. It is probably a good idea for a new teacher to have someone more seasoned take a look at their tests and quizzes for these ambiguities which have the potential to set your students up for failure: if your questions are too simple/give hints or are difficult to interpret, how do you know that your students have actually learned? I found the section on writing essay questions very helpful. After presenting my ELA lesson in class a few weeks ago, and fielding several questions from “students” about how exactly they were to tackle an assignment, I realized that I needed to be clearer about my expectations. Hence, Russell suggests turning a one sentence essay prompt into a paragraph! Why not set your students up for success by letting them know exactly what they need to do?

    While Chapter 7 in Milner was sort of a catch-all chapter, I hesitate to call it a junk drawer as they did. I thought the discussions were quite useful and served as a nice review. My favorite section was on teaching multicultural literature, which is a nice companion to the chapter we read in Gere. I read Alice Walker’s In Search of Our Mother’s Gardens a few years ago and it had a big impact on how I think about my own relationship to literature. Milner provides a quote by walker on page 231: “The absence of models, in literature as in life… is an occupational hazard for the artist, simply because models in art, in behavior, in growth of spirit and intellect – even if rejected – enrich and enlarge one’s view of existence.” I think the absence of models in literature in and in the classroom is hazardous to all of our students. Even in a classroom where there is a notable lack of diversity, students need to be presented with alternate ways of viewing the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish,
      I really like your use of the word “empowering.” That’s a great way to describe what students would get out of the Language as a Social Construct approach. I saw this approach to teaching as the one which, of all the styles we’ve read about, could have the greatest chance of having an effect outside of the classroom. Researching or pursuing something in the community has the chance to blossom into a real opportunity beyond a writing assignment. Empowerment is a perfect way to capture that, as students will be taking ownership and control of an issue. It also seems like Language as a Social Construct could expand in ways that the teacher couldn’t even anticipate, which is both exciting and somewhat scary.

      I also like your idea of having a more experienced teacher review your assessments before you give them. Someone with a little more mileage will be able to spot errors, inconsistencies, or flaws in a question and help you make it better. This really reflects what we heard at the teacher panel: the first few years of teaching will be a matter of finding mentors to help guide us through the rocky start of teaching.

      Delete
  3. The reading from Classroom Assessment: Concepts and Applications is a direct extension of last week’s chapter, so much so that this could have been called Chapter 6-B. Here again we examine the art of creating tests, and I was staggered, as I was last week, by how much thought and deliberate planning goes into crafting written assessments. The seven rules of writing test questions (Russell & Airasian, 2012, pp. 183 - 192) is a section that, I have no doubt, I will return to again and again during my teaching career for pointers on how to phrase - and how not to phrase - my tests. Also helpful is the section on test accommodations; the simple, concise lists of modifications will be invaluable when I begin teaching.

    The “language as social construct” model explored in Chapter 7 of Language and Reflection: An Integrated Approach to Teaching English shows us an English class where the social and communal aspects of learning are stressed and students write about community issues that directly affect them. Here, “literacy is a process of social engagement” (Gere, Fairbanks, Howes, Roop, & Shaafsma, 1992, p. 188) where the classroom is not isolated from the real world but directly related to it. In theory, this is a wonderful model that would allow students to become engaged with material more than any other model we have examined thus far. But I wonder how realistic this approach is in the real world classroom. It seems to eschew the curriculum and the literary canon, and although it encourages writing, it focuses very little on reading. I would like to incorporate portions of this model into my teaching, but to have an entire “language as social construct” classroom sounds more like a Nancie Atwell Utopia than an achievable reality.

    Chapter 7 of Bridging English takes a somewhat antithetical approach, in that it stresses reading and gives us multiple strategies to help students as they tackle progressively more challenging texts. The underlying question running through the chapter seems to be, “Should reading be hard work?” In a roundabout way, the answer comes on page 211: “Reading [is] a learned skill rather than an inherited trait” (Milner & Milner, 2007). In other words, the more we teach our students how to read - the more we model before, during, and after reading strategies - the easier it will be for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott,

      I too appreciated the seven rules for writing test questions. I mentioned in my post how frustrating some of my personal experiences have been while taking tests (I've never been much of a test taker either). It will no doubt be a useful resource forever and ever as teachers. I was joking to myself that I need to make a copy of these rules and hang them up in my classroom. Then I thought it might be a good idea to actually do that; I think students would appreciate it.

      I really enjoyed the way you summed up chapter 7 of Bridging English. There was a ton of information in that chapter, and you pulled on the thread that was holding it all together. It got me thinking about how I started reading. I enjoyed reading as a kid, and then somewhere in high school it got completely uninteresting, and I’m not sure why that was. I think that if teachers were more focused on getting us students to read, this gap in time may not have happened to me. If, like you said, teachers model before, during, and after reading strategies, it won’t be as scary to pick up a book and dive in.

      Delete
  4. Full Circle

    Though I value all of these chapters and what they have to offer, I feel like I've read all of this before. At this point in our education on education we have discussed theories on everything: assessment, classroom management, curriculum, homework, time management, planning, etc. We have even discussed what theories on education can and cannot give us. They cannot, for example, give us experience. They cannot give us the answers to every question we have. They cannot replace a veteran teacher’s advice when our backs are against the wall. At this point in the semester, after asking every question I can think of in the hypothetical, the only thing left to do is get out there. As we enter the teaching profession, there are some important points to take away from everything we've read and discussed. For one, never be ashamed of asking for help. Denial of a problem does not make that problem go away. Two, always be open to new things. Versatility and flexibility are our two biggest assets in a classroom. Like Ruiz says, don’t take anything personally and be true to your word. Flip flopping is a bad habit in-and-of itself, but in a classroom it is the worst kind of foul. Milner, Gere, Russell, Atwell, and Smagorinsky, in their own way, have offered us advice. They have offered up examples, theories, and real world experience but in the end it is still advice. The biggest problem we will face in education and in our classroom is there is no one way of doing things. There is not a “correct” answer; it is not a yes or no question. Education is like the existential questions we ask ourselves when having a moment: How should we approach education?

    I think we should set goals for ourselves. We have read theories and heard from real teachers. What do we want to see from ourselves as teachers in the next year? Five years? Ten? Are they realistic? Will we be sticklers to our goals or will we be malleable? How will we hold ourselves accountable? We are a small group of students in the graduate school of education and I feel comfortable enough to say let’s keep in touch. During student teaching, and the year to come, I promise to call anyone who wants a call and email anyone who wants an email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like everything you have written here. It is so true that we cannot go step-by-step by the book because we have no idea what we will encounter in the classroom. Also the point you make about setting goals is spot on. There is nothing better we can do for ourselves than strive for something. I feel like, as teachers, we need to always be reaching for something or else we might lose our way. It kind of reminds me of applying to college. The advice was always “have a reach school, a safety school, and a school you believe you can get into.” As teachers we should have some goals that we know we really need to work for, some goals we know we can meet if we do the work, and even some goals that are so easy we don’t have to put much thought into them. Sometimes those “safety” goals might be tough for our students and we will be thankful we thought of them, while other times we will complete our “reach” goal and surprise ourselves, which will be a great moment.

      Delete
  5. The first sentence in chapter seven of Classroom Assessment states, “tests are the most common tool used to measure student achievement” (Russell & Airasian, 2012, p. 177). I had to stop reading for a second and let that sink in. After all we have learned in our classes and after just going over a section on portfolios in the teaching of writing class I was baffled reading this sentence. I had to ask the question, “WHY?” Why are teachers still relying on this form of assessment when there are so many more interactive ways to assess students, portfolios, essays, visuals, videos, presentations, why do we continue to stick to the test?

    As I continued reading I really liked the section explaining Universal Design for Learning. The comparison to the New England Aquarium was great because I have actually been there, but the description was detailed enough that I could imagine what the tank and ramp looked like. The three principles of UDL, “provide alternative formats for presenting information, provide alternative means for action and expression, and provide alternative means for engagement” all made a lot of sense in comparison to what UD was originally meant for, structural design. We had talked about UD a little in last week’s class, but this section of the text really expanded my understanding of the topic.

    In chapter seven of Language and Reflection there was one piece that I really enjoyed based on the work of Vygotsky. The text mentions that, “the role of the teacher becomes that of a more experienced peer who questions and clarifies in an effort to assist the student to reach more sophisticated and novel solutions or responses” (Gere et al., 1992, p. 189). One thing I have always thought about teaching was that I would be just as much of a learner in my classroom as my students would be. They would come in every day teaching me something new and I cannot wait for that. This piece about Vygotsky’s work sums up my feelings about being a learner for life. I am a peer in the classroom that is there to guide students. I think Brown mentioned in class once that as teachers we just have more experience, it does not really make us better, just a little more knowledgeable than our students. Even then, sometimes our students are going to know more than us or understand something better than we do!

    While reading the section on censorship in Bridging English, I thought of something I had learned while observing at one of the schools in the pre practicum. There was a book that was banned in a town in South Carolina and the students in front of me were completely shocked that this book was banned. They were AP English students and were outraged over what happened in this town. Luckily the teacher I was observing got the madness under control by sharing the fact that only six days later the book was removed from the banned list. But this example showed the students how hard it can be for teachers to try and teach certain books in the classroom. Parents and outsiders can attempt to control the learning in schools and it does happen. The response from the students was overwhelming because they thought that teachers shouldn’t be reprimanded so quickly, this lesson was certainly eye opening for them and me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae,

      While it does seem ridiculous that tests are still “the most common tool” used by teachers and school districts to assess learning, I suppose it’s also not completely surprising. Tests are, after all, the most easily measurable assessment. Answers are definitively right or definitively wrong; they require less thought and imagination to grade; and they allow little room for error. Hell, they’re so easy to grade that our teachers used to have us do half their grading. I completely agree, though, that we need to find alternative ways to evaluate our students. Tests are perfectly adequate on occassion – and, indeed, there are times when tests are the best way to assess learning – but tests should not be the go-to evaluation tool, if only because they stress rote memory over true comprehension. Some of your suggestions, particularly portfolios, show student growth in a myriad of ways; these methods are not only more effective but may even prove to be – gasp! – more enjoyable to the students.

      Delete
  6. The Milner chapter concerning the canon describes an issue that is fascinating in the abstract but becomes frustrating when applied to teaching. Teaching the classics boils down to showing students the “best” writing and trying to present varied points of view. The problems of limited class time and deciding just what constitutes a classic, however, are ever present. Sticking with American literature gives plenty of options. Expanding to Canada, Ireland, England, and Australia gives you an unmanageable number of texts. Expanding further to the non-English world is overwhelming. Organizing units (or years) by theme appeals to me because it can accommodate that kind of diversity.

    One aspect of this chapter that I fixated on, however, was the inclusion of works in translation. The author describes having taught writers like Borges, Allende, and Neruda (230). While those texts are undoubtedly wonderful, I found myself torn. So much is lost in translation (especially in poetry) that I wonder how valuable studying those texts is in an English class. Obviously, though, you eliminate huge swaths of literature if you stick with English, which is an even greater problem in a class trying to foster cultural awareness.

    Russell’s last two chapters have really made me think over the process of creating tests. The section in which he gave an example of a well-written test question and contrasted it with a poorly written version (184) really made me pay attention. Wording is so important in creating an assessment, especially in essays. If a multiple choice question is poorly-worded, at least it’s only one part of a series. If an essay is poorly-worded, a whole class’ assessments could be invalidated. This chapter made me reflect on Scarlett’s admission to her class that she felt responsible that they weren’t understanding a concept. Her decision is a model for what a teacher should do if a test item he created is unclear: eliminate it, or make it count as a bonus. The biggest thing I took from this chapter is to be careful in preparation and humble in instances of error.

    Russell’s “language as a social construct” idea is interesting, but it seems unworkable on a large scale. In the list of limitations for this approach, the book describes it as “unconventional” and difficult due to “budgetary restrictions” (195). These seem like two huge red flags to me, especially for a beginner teacher. I understand the value that this approach has, especially that it can center on issues related to the community. This offers students the chance to get involved in something that affects their lives, and it also offers opportunities for attention in newspapers or other local publications. I cannot see this approach working beyond one project or small unit, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian,
      I like how you relate these issues of "unconventional" and "budgetary restrictions" to a new teacher. Ideally we could look at teaching and its various methods without ever bringing experience into it but as teachers about to take the field we should be considering what may be too much as a newbie. In theory, experience brings very little to the table but in practice experience brings just about everything to the table. We may get out there and find that our favorite methods to read about just don't work for us in the classroom. We may find that the teachers that who influenced us the most are extremely difficult to replicate. We may find that we just are not suited for certain aspects of teaching. Scary as it may be, we need to consider the possibilities of really teaching.

      Delete
  7. Milner 7: Bridging English: Unlocking Texts

    I've always been a fan of using young adult fiction to unlock texts for students. The problem we’re running into now is that kids just aren't reading. But shoving The Crucible onto their plates and telling them to devour it is certainly not going to whet their appetites. I don’t mean to say that the classics are not important; but they should be something that gets worked into coursework later, once the students have already shown interest in reading. After all, the idea is to unlock the text. In order to effectively unlock the classics, we need to let them read what is interesting and accessible to them.


    Gere 7: Language and Reflection: Language as Social Construct

    “The challenge is not to cover a specific set of texts or objectives in a specific period of time, but to engage students in activities that ask them to discover and make sense of whatever they have chosen to study.” (187). This quote accurately describes what most teachers want to be doing with and for their students. We, quite simply, want them to learn in the way that is most meaningful to them. To me, this seems like the ideal classroom though, the one that we all want but will never have. There are too many scripts being handed to teachers to make this method work well. I also thought it was interesting when the chapter listed the limitations of this method, the first one being that it is unconventional (195). At first I thought it was silly to be listed as a limitation because it’s an out of the box idea. But once I read what they meant, I think it could create problems going forward. Students are expected to have read certain texts by certain grades. Should this expectation be adjusted in order to make room for this social construct? I couldn't decide.


    Russell 7: Classroom Assessment: Universal Design for Assessment

    One thing that always drove me crazy about tests was low quality questions. Not all, but too many. Typos were never considered a big deal. Obscure questions were always our fault. As a teacher, it is imperative for me to learn how to be clear with the questions I’m asking my students to answer. The seven rules to “write clearly and simply” (183-192) are excellent reminders that go beyond test questions, but can extend to the questions we ask of our students in general. I honestly loved all the points, as I've had frustrating experiences with almost all of them. What is most relevant to me, I think, is rule #5: “Give information about the nature of the desired answer.” We've been talking about it all semester. Our students need to know what we are expecting of them when we are assessing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Briana,

      It is SO important to get our students reading. Like you have said, it almost does not matter what students read as long as they are, in fact, reading. This is exactly why we should take advantage of young adult literature. Texts in this genre such as Holes or The Outsiders are very different from others such as Great Expectations or Frankenstein. Students can usually relate to YA texts because they are the targeted audience. The important question is: why are we not teaching these more?

      On the other hand, I am definitely not an advocate for completely throwing out the “canon.” I think the classics have their place. Students can really benefit from reading more complex texts after they are comfortable with the reading process. It is a challenge but I think it was one that was important for my schooling and so I would like to pass it on to my students. Being able to comprehend texts will help students not only in college, but beyond school as well. Better readers also make better writers—another skill important for graduating into the “real world.” I think we need to work more on creating a better balance between YA books and the “canon” in order to keep our students engaged in reading and inspire new interest and skills.

      Delete