Tuesday, September 10, 2013

OLF 2

Please respond to Chapter 1 in Milner, Chapter 1 in Gere, and Chapter 1 in Russell. The syllabus outlines the requirements for OLFs.

19 comments:

  1. In order to teach English, it makes sense to first study its elements and history. The first chapters of Bridging English (2012) and Language and Reflection (1992) introduce some ideas at the heart of English instruction. Whereas Milner et al. in Bridging English emphasize today’s student-centered approach to teaching, Gere et al. in Language and Reflection provide a brief history of the development of English education and conclude that the teacher remains the central figure in the classroom (1992, p. 19). Milner et al. acknowledge the changes in the traditional classroom. Since its late Nineteenth Century origins, the English class has progressed from a class of students listening while a teacher lectures at the front of the classroom into a constructivist learning environment in which the teacher and students work together as learners to access learning through activating prior knowledge (2012). As we perceive by its history, the English classroom has grown significantly since beginning as a subject solely based on instruction of reading, writing, and grammar (Gere et al., 1992).

    The modern English classroom is definitely heading in the right direction in order to engage today’s students. If we shift our focus in the classroom from the teacher to the students, then the lesson structure will develop, too. For instance, incorporating technology and media into lessons (i.e. Youtube, song, poetry reading, etc.) not only captures the attention of students who use such tools for entertainment purposes, but it blends modern elements with a subject where the content can be centuries old. New methods of teaching encourage group work and creativity. Instead of the teacher telling the students how to learn, students and teachers can work together using tools like the Internet build knowledge to collaborate on ideas about literature. Using the Internet in such a way inspires reading. Encouraging students to read and write every day immensely increases their application skills of the English language.

    Even assessment techniques are developing as Russell and Airasian indicate in Classroom Assessment (2012). By shifting their focus from strictly summative assessment and teachers can additionally adopt methods of formative, early, and instructional assessments (2012). With the surge of standardized testing in America at an “all-time high” due in part to “No Child Left Behind” (2012, p. 3), teachers today more than ever must maintain a constant awareness of the development and success of their students—another important milestone in the progress of English instruction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your comments Kate. The way in which English is being taught today is certainly a move in the right direction. The idea of lecture style classrooms really doesn't address anyone's needs. I especially liked your points about technology and media in the classroom. From a student perspective, I feel as though teachers who have incorporated these elements in their lesson planning and teaching have been especially effective. Granted, there are times when these elements are included in lessons without careful planning or purpose, and in these cases, they're not particularly useful. However, when used appropriately, media can demonstrate lessons in powerful ways that really stick with students.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first chapters of Bridging English and Language and Reflection discuss the historical development of teaching secondary English in the United States. While ideas on student-teacher relationships, effective methodologies, and the meaning of literacy (Milner 6) have all evolved over the past 150 years, it’s clear that at least a few fundamentals have remained the same. As Gere et al. note, since the early twentieth century some of the primary aims of English education are to “foster personal growth,” to “prepare good workers,” and to “produce good citizens” (7). Even though our ideas of personal growth, good workers, and good citizens may differ today, these goals still ring true.

    Milner et al. also outline the ways in which English education in the present day is markedly different from the past, however. The idea of “literacy,” once defined simply as the ability to read and write, has expanded to encompass facility with modern technology (6). This discipline is, of course, developing more and more every day. Classrooms today are also more ethnically and academically diverse, and the teacher and student are expected to work together, “choosing the most fruitful… paths to learning” (9), rather than the teacher acting as the dispenser of knowledge.

    While I found these chapters enlightening, I found one section alarming. I was struck by the passage in Gere et al. which questioned, “What roles, once played by parents, should English teachers assume? […] How does an English teacher work effectively with students suffering from drug- or alcohol-centered disabilities, neglect, stress, abuse, poverty, or other conditions that interfere with learning?” (23). This is a sad commentary on the way our society views teachers and education. As Russell notes (14), standardized testing is becoming an increasingly important factor in evaluating a student’s progress and a teacher’s effectiveness. But how is that mode of assessment fair to a student facing so many outside challenges, or to a teacher who works with a student for what is, realistically, a small fraction of his life? I work in a highly specialized school with students who come from those kinds of difficult backgrounds. At times the progress we are able to make is frustratingly small, even with a large, well-trained staff. If so many of the students in average schools lead such dire lives, how can we expect one English teacher to effect so much change? Our society needs to adjust its perspective. It’s unfair to heap so much responsibility on underappreciated and minimally supported teachers who are then evaluated by tests which don’t consider factors beyond their control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian,

      You ask some great questions about how society expects teachers to reach every student academically and emotionally to help them overcome outside distractors affecting educational progress. It is true that American policy-makers, public figures, and the general population place more emphasis than ever on standardized testing scores in evaluating students and the effectiveness of teachers. Furthermore, like we discussed in class last week, the increased presence of these tests seems to be causing many teachers to worry more about test preparation strategies than teaching major course content.

      You ask how it is fair to expect the same level of performance from students of varied backgrounds and unfortunately I think the honest answer is that it is not fair. How can it be? However, can there really be a “fair” way of reevaluating the educational system in today’s nation? With rising diversity levels in classrooms, as Milner et al. discuss in Bridging English (2012, p. 9), perhaps we might need to consider that the flat national view of education we have adopted now is not the way to proceed. Despite this, it is important to recognize that any impact the teacher makes on his or her students is success, regardless of how small it might seem.

      Delete
  4. The passage in Bridging English that references the three “I’s” of learning – “individualization, interaction, and integration” (Milner & Milner, p. 11) – makes one rethink the entire notion of school and curriculum. Is school a place where students learn solely academics (or the three “R’s”, as we hear about historically)? Or is it a place where students actually learn to think, to question, to grow, to challenge their own beliefs and preconceptions, and to become better people? I would like to think that the answer is the latter – that adolescents don’t go to school for reading, writing, and ‘rithmetic but to “understand the ‘reason why’ of things” (Milner & Milner, p. 8). Indeed, understanding the “reason why” of things is perhaps a better reason than all six listed in Chapter 1 of Language and Reflection (Gere, Howes, Room, and Shaafsma, pp. 1 – 3) regarding why we teach English. After all, as any journalist will attest, out of all the W questions – who, what, where, when, and why – “why?” is the most important, and the most interesting.

    In the reading from Classroom Assessment: Concepts and Applications, we see that assessment, too, need not just be relegated to the traditional forms of multiple choice and fill-in-the-blanks tests. Student learning can be evaluated in a myriad of ways, which is necessary to keep in mind for students who don’t do particularly well on tests but can shine in other ways (writing an essay, for example, or creating a project, or engaging in a debate). It is reductive and, in fact, unfair to reduce assessment to pencil-and-paper tests. Nor does assessment only have to occur in isolated points in time, such as grading tests or reading student writing. This chapter depicts a teacher who “continually observes, monitors, and reviews student behaviors and performances to obtain evidence for decision making” (Russell & Airasian, p. 5). All of this is assessment, albeit formative rather than summative, and it will be vital to keep in mind that while students must meet the Common Core Standards of reading, writing, speaking, and listening, we as teachers must continue to find innovative and creative ways to judge and evaluate those standards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I think that the "reason why" is embedded in all of these categories that Gere gives us in Language and Reflection. In order to improve morality, you must ask yourself some really tough questions. In order to grow as a person, you have to be able to ask yourself questions like why am I upset by..., why do I feel this way about..., questions that challenge you as a person. In order to really be a master of the classics, you have to be able to answer the questions they ask in novels like the Odyssey or Great Expectations. A lot of the questions we answer in order to achieve these things start with why. I think asking and answering the why questions is innate in us all. As a child, we ask why the sky is blue or why does Santa Claus come down the chimney instead of through the front door like a normal person and we never stop asking why. We ask why when a loved one dies or a heart gets broken, we ask why about a dream we had or a sudden thought we ignored. We always ask why. Who, what, when, and where are the questions we write down on a test but the why, its the one we keep inside us, the one that lurks around the recesses of our brains as we listen to a teacher talk about the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. Its the one question that shapes the paths we take and the lives we live. Since it is so much a part of us it is no wonder that it forms the foundation of learning. No matter what kind of teacher you are or want to be, the why of things will always be at the core of you, your students, and your classroom.

      Delete
    3. I just want you to know, I wrote this response like three times. This is the regurgitated, less brilliant version of my original response which was obvious sheer genius occurring before your very eyes. Since Google chrome hates me, this is what you get instead. :)

      Delete
    4. It was still a little brilliant! You make some really good points, and I might blatantly steal this paragraph and use it in a novel someday. Just an FYI.

      Delete
  5. Defining English
    In the chapters we read for this week, each book sought to define what English is and what it means to teach English. Though I found each reading similar and similarly interesting, I was particularly drawn to Gere’s distinctions of the kinds of teachers. I found myself wondering which ones I was and had to do some soul searching to really find my answer. I think it is important to know what kind of teacher I am and what I hope to achieve by teaching. I do not want to enter the classroom with some vague notions of what I’m doing there. I want to be definitive in my purpose at the front of the room so that when it comes time to make a decision about what is most important to me in the classroom, I have the information I need to make it. For example, I will never be the type of teacher that teaches to the test. In that respect, I am not the type of teacher that seeks to create an elite. According to Gere, these teachers “believe that students should be grouped according to ability level so that those in the college preparatory track will be exposed to advanced work” (2). Though I do believe in different levels for students, I do not believe that should be my main focus as a teacher. I would like to reach all levels and I hope that I can help all levels reach college.

    Once I realized what I was not, I started to wonder what I was. I could not pin myself down to one category or topic and I do not think any teacher would be able to narrow themselves down to one. As humans, we are far too complex to be simplified so far. I came to the conclusion that as a teacher I will most likely seek to improve morality, foster personal growth, and offset inequity. I believe in the power of literature to do all these things and more for my students. I think in trying to define English we also try to define ourselves. As times change, so does our definition of English and its place in the classroom but I think as teachers, we should always seek to guide our students toward understanding and growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your soul searching in inspiring. I think it’s something we should all sit down and do at some point before we set foot in our own classrooms. What you discovered, in my opinion, are aspects that many of us should include in our planning, like not teaching to tests and trying to reach students at all levels, not just the ones that appear to have promising college careers. I also liked seeing what you’ve narrowed yourself down to in terms of your goals as a teacher. It’s great to see that you fully believe that literature has the power to accomplish all that you want it to, because I think if you teach that belief to your students, they will follow along and learn all the things you hope they will. Reading and writing are powerful tools for guiding students toward understanding and growth; I couldn’t agree with you more.

      Delete
  6. In the first chapter of Bridging English, several components of what make up the teaching of English are discussed. In the chapter they expand upon the main purpose of high school English and refer back to the late 1800s in doing so. The two main foci outlined in that time period dealt with the expression of thoughts and the acquaintance with literature. Students were to learn how to understand the expressions of others through listening and reading. But they were also to learn how to express their own thoughts through speaking and writing. Throughout the development of these processes, students would become acquainted with literature, thus allowing them to go beyond English class and want to select literature on their own. I found these references to be thoroughly connected to the purpose of high school English as it is taught today. What I find especially powerful about these defined terms of English is how compact they are and yet how widely encompassing they can be.

    As teachers, we can use various forms of media within English classes to aid students in comprehension of others and of themselves. These terms of “what is English” do not limit the teaching of English to just simply the language or the written word. In line with these components of English, teachers can serve as guides through these processes. Milner, Milner, and Mitchell outline the roles of teachers as, “facilitators, coaches, and fellow learners” (p. 9).

    Chapter 1 in Classroom Assessment deals with that very subject, assessment. This chapter covers the vast facets of assessment in all its many forms. At first I was surprised to read about all the ways assessment could be defined. However, after reviewing these more closely, they seemed to make much more sense. One aspect of this chapter that I appreciated in conjunction with assessment is validity. Russell and Airasian state: “Validity is a matter of degree; it does not exist on an all-or-nothing basis. Think of assessment validity in terms of categories: highly valid, moderately valid, and invalid” (p. 19). In looking at assessment in this light, teachers can make more informed decisions. From this angle, a teacher would consistently determine the quality of an assessment in conjunction with actual student learning. This is important because assessments are not always reflective of what a student knows or of what a student is capable of doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ways that the first chapter of Bridging English talked about high school in the late 1800s was so interesting to me too! I was somewhat surprised that the learning objectives back then are very similar (in a larger sense) to what we want to do in the English classroom today. It made me think of the reading for this weeks teaching writing class and how students are always going to learn from not just reading, but from writing. Some things are never going to change.

      I really liked the quote you chose from Milner, Milner, and Mitchell; I think that it really shows what the student-teacher relationship should look like, a give and take. I always knew that going into teaching would mean I would forever be learning. We will learn new ways of teaching, take classes to refresh our skills, and the most fun: learn from our students. They are always going to know things we do not, just like we knew things our teachers didn’t. I look forward to this aspect of teaching as much as I look forward to seeing the “light bulb” moment for my students.

      Delete
  7. Milner Chapter 1
    The beginning of this chapter asked me to remember my own high school English experiences, and it was a pleasant ride down memory lane. My high school offered an elective course called “Creative Essay” and I was instantly interested. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it encouraged me to attempt to write a novel, which is almost complete. But I remember enjoying the teacher as well as learning about reading and writing and it is something that has stuck with me ever since. I thought the section that discussed the challenges of teaching in the 21st century was informative (5-6). It reminded us of the diverse classrooms we are more than likely going to have, and also that while technology is great and helpful, those resources may not be available or keeping up with them can be harder than expected.

    Gere Chapter 1
    Reading into the history of teaching English was more interesting than I thought it would be. It was fun to compare methods used in the past to what is typically done in modern classrooms, and seeing how far we’ve come. It was also interesting to see how certain goals for teaching dominated time periods, like with the onset of World War I; to prepare good workers and to produce good citizens (8). The common error box (box 1.2, page 13-14) is a great resource. One of my pet peeves is when people fail to speak correctly, even if it’s a tiny mistake. I feel like I’m going to be one of those teachers who have mini grammar lessons every week!

    Russell Chapter 1
    I like that this chapter reminded us of the purposes of classroom assessment: “Many people think of tests when they hear the term assessment… classroom assessment encompasses much more than tests and quizzes,” (5). I didn’t realize that there were three major domains for assessment; cognitive, affective, and psychomotor. This knowledge really broadens the horizons and I think it even takes the edge of the term assessment, making it less frightening for students. I believe that providing feedback is one of the most important things a teacher can do. I remember I received a zero on an in-class project and when I asked the teacher to explain what I seemed to have missed, all she said was, “Well, you got everything wrong so that’s why you got a zero.” Gee thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brianna,
      I found myself nodding in agreement with everything you wrote, particularly in regard to “the history of teaching English” section in the Gere chapter. I anticipated that this section would be a snooze, but it turned out to be not only interesting but surprisingly relevant – what better way to assess where our society is in terms of education than by exploring where we’ve been? (I better stop; I’m starting to sound like a history teacher.)

      I laughed when you talked about your pet peeve of people speaking incorrectly, as I’m in the same boat. It will be a struggle, I imagine, when I’m teaching not to correct my students every thirty seconds. I will have to remind myself that I was once a high school student, too, and judging from some of my writing back then, my grammar wasn’t always much better than my future students’ will be. In many cases, I will have to assess student writing based on larger ideas and comprehension; if I focus only on grammar, spelling, and punctuation, I’ll spend countless hours docking points off papers even though the content itself might be strong.

      P.S. I'd love to hear more about your novel.

      Delete
  8. Russell’s section on Appropriate Assessments: Valid and Reliable was very relatable to me. My first thought after reading about Mr. Ferris was that he could have really put any problems on the test, whether they were related to what he had taught his students or not. I know as I read on that he used questions that were of the same style and application as the ones in taught to the students. I agree with the questions at the end of the example though: how can a teacher just make an assumption about a student from only one or two interactions. This is something that I have seen happen in both high school and even in college. Teachers seem to forget that students are people too. They have lives and families and responsibilities. In our teaching English language learners’ class on Monday night, we had a guest speaker come in from the Methuen public schools. She was an ELL specialist and she talked about how she gives her students a pass on homework if they talk to her and let her know that there is something going on that is hindering their ability to get the work done. This is what teachers should do, not make assumptions about their students and their lives.

    To build off of Russell and what the guest speaker talked about, Gere mentions in chapter two that, “the ability to ‘read’ individual students and use those observations to create meaningful learning experiences is what separates the good teacher from the mediocre” (Gere et al., 1992, p. 27). This quote really sat with me because it is what teachers should do, relating class work to the students’ lives will make them more engaged and more interested in the learning, like the teacher did in the show The Wire. Teachers should constantly be re-judging their students; they CHANGE. They’re growing and learning and becoming adults. It is important to give them the constant reassessment they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I think you've made a very important point about student-teacher relationships. Teachers should make an effort to foster an environment where students feel comfortable approaching the teacher with a problem, whether it's academic or personal. It's easy to see a student who is disruptive in class or seems disconnected somehow and to assume he doesn't care, but you're right when you say we shouldn't make assumptions about what's going on in their lives. Students should know that their voices are going to be heard. If they're having a hard time in any way, they should feel supported, especially if they don't get that kind of support at home.

      I really like your last sentence too. I find it really hard to shake first impressions of people, but this is a must for a teacher. High school students are developing right in front of our eyes, and we need to be aware of their growth and development, not constantly judge them on how they once were.

      Delete