Today’s classroom is a diverse environment comprised of students with varying learning abilities, behaviors, interests, cultures, and beliefs. It is the job of the teacher, according to Milner et al. in Chapter Two of Bridging English (2012), to try to incorporate learning techniques into lessons that can engage each student in his or her classroom. Therefore, it is important to learn how to effectively organize instruction in such ways that will capture and maintain the attention of students depending on the lesson. Milner et al. discuss four different methods of instruction: lecture, whole-class discussion, group work, and individual work. By using these strategies in various combinations, teachers can blend the social aspects of learning present in discussion and group work with the cognitive and one-on-one features of lecture and individual work (Milner et al., 2012, p. 46).
Just as it is important to engage students in ways in which they require, it is also vital to perform early assessment in the first few days of school to determine how to teach to a class. Russell and Araisian (2012) remark that such assessment is vital for preventing a “disorganized, disruptive, and unresponsive class… in which communication and learning are inhibited” (p. 32). Early assessment can often take place informally, but teachers may use other resources as well such as prior student portfolios, IEPs, or early skills tests. Teachers can then apply their observations gained from these early assessments not only in formulating lesson plans, but also to help students use their varying sets of intelligences (i.e. musical, linguistic, interpersonal, etc.) to their fullest potentials (Gere, Fairbanks, Howes, Roop, & Shaafsma, 1992).
One passage that really struck me while I was reading was the section that discusses gifted students. Milner et al. (2012) cite an passage from Callahan, Tomlinson, Reis, and Kaplan (2000) in which they argue that “secondary schools often focus so much attention on struggling students that the instructional needs of the highest achieving students are overlooked” (p. 21). I found this idea interesting because in a meeting with my high school principal and vice principals, I remember my mom accusing them of the same offense. Though I never thought the administration and teacher focused more on the struggling students on purpose, it seemed unfair. However, because teachers had to focus on the behavioral issues and learning speed of these students, I am not sure they could afford to give more attention to the higher achievers.
I like what you wrote about gifted students and your personal experience with it. I think that schools generally have a difficult enough time working the struggling students and in dealing with behavioral issues that it’s almost impossible for them to get around to helping higher achieving students. It is easier to overlook those students who are doing fine; they appear to not be having any trouble and if they are not struggling, they are able to function independently and they will graduate on time; so what is the problem? I do not think schools do this on purpose; it is something that is easy to glance over and is ultimately low on the priority list because there appear to be no problems. I think that it is becoming more of the teacher’s problem when it comes to deciding what to do with high achieving students. They are usually the ones who are able identify them and have little support in learning how they can best help these students while keeping up with the rest of their diverse classroom.
As I know I've mentioned before, the idea of designing instruction and curriculum terrifies me. The second chapter in Bridging English helped to point out the most important factors when planning curriculum: 1. Teachers must identify the desired outcome of instruction. 2. Teachers must determine ways to document and validate the successful achievement of those outcomes. 3. Teachers must plan learning experiences that will help students successfully reach learning goals. (Milner, 2012; 18-19). The most important step is that first one- understanding where you want your students to be; that is what ultimately matters most. It was very helpful to see some examples of strong summary questions and comprehensive questions that actually go along with what students might be thinking after reading, like what the title has to do with the story, etc. (Milner, 2012; 35).
Gere 2: Language and Reflection
If I handed out a reading assignment and I read Yolanda’s story about her pregnant friend stabbing her in 6th grade... (Gere, 1992; 30-31). It would be hard to choose where to start in attempting to deal with that. I would definitely have a hard time simply fixing the paper and handing it back without trying to talk about what happened to her. I think this proves that we need to be observant of our students, to know and understand them as well as we can. I liked the section about experienced teachers and how they observe students from the moment they walk into school (Gere, 1992; 47-50). 1. How do the students enter the classroom? 2. Where do students choose to sit? 3. How do they sit? 4. What is the disposition of the class today? 5. Are the students prepared for class? 6. Is there anything unusual about their physical appearance? All these questions will help us understand what is going on with our students today and how we can proceed in trying to teach them.
Russell 2: Classroom Assessment
“A class is a society, a social system, made up of people who communicate with one another, pursue common and individual goals, and follow rules of order.” (Russell, 2012; 29). I think this quote from the text sums up what teachers need to keep in mind when learning about their classes. This is how it needs to operate if you’re going to get anywhere, and early assessment is the key to that. “If early assessment is not done well, a disorganized, disruptive, unresponsive class is likely to develop, one in which communication and learning are inhibited (Russell, 2012; 32). I barely remember anything from 6th grade because my class was so unruly. It was very difficult to learn when a majority of the class was always causing chaos. We made substitute teachers cry. Halfway through the year they separated our class, trying to remove some of the more troublesome kids and place them in classes where they had fewer partners in crime.
I think it would be a lie if one of us said we were not nervous about planning instruction for our future classrooms. It is a big responsibility! How do you possibly plan to keep 20-30 students busy for an entire class period? There are so many “what-ifs” that could interrupt a plan and this is what makes us worried. You helpfully emphasize three effective practices referred to in Bridging English that all teachers should bear in mind while planning. By keeping in mind the goals you want your students to accomplish at the end of a lesson, you can better tailor the lesson to fit those objectives while also remaining open to changes or inspired “teachable moments” that may occur in the classroom.
I also agree with what you say in your third section in response to Chapter Two in Classroom Assessment. It is indeed quite difficult to focus on learning in a classroom full of disruptive students. While early assessment can help teachers understand the needs of their students, I am personally a little nervous about trying to teach classes with uncontrollable students. Is there a secret to dealing with these classrooms? I was always awed by teachers who just seemed to magically “have it all together.”
Having recently started my prepracticum observations it is interesting to reflect on how teachers are using the methods introduced in our textbooks into their classrooms. One of the teachers I observed last week specifically mentioned the ongoing process of getting to know his students at the beginning of the year, and the difficulty of scaffolding instruction to meet everyone’s needs without yet knowing what those needs are. My reading of Chapter 2 of Russell and Airasian’s Classroom Assessment was definitely timely as the question of early assessments was on my mind. I appreciate the wisdom that although teachers need to develop an understanding of who their students are rather quickly, it is important to avoid “prejudging” them incorrectly. I especially understand their assertion about the danger of prior information (Russell & Airasian, 2012, p. 43). Teachers should form their opinions about their students based on their own current and consistent experience. I also found the insight about loving students vs. loving students as learners in Language & Reflection thought provoking. I do feel that it is important that teachers express a general appreciation for not only their profession, but their students as well. However, I am sure it is common to encounter student personalities that are like “nails on a chalkboard” throughout one’s career. Embracing students as learners rather than focusing on aspects of their personalities that clash with one’s own preferences sound good advice (Gere et al., 1992, p. 28). Sometimes, the prospect of differentiation seems far too cumbersome a task for one inexperienced teacher. At the beginning of Chapter 2 in Bridging English I questioned how I would be able to successfully integrate the Theory of Multiple Intelligences into my lesson planning, but the book is very helpful in coming up with strategies and options for doing so. A variety of learning needs calls for a variety of activities; independent and group learning can be tailored for every student if you give them an active role in their own education. I have come to realize that a teacher’s role is not to simply provide students with access to and interpretation of literature, but to inspire creative and critical thought processes. On page 35 there is a quote that stood out to me; it points out that discussion and questions acting as “instruments to open engaged minds to unsuspected possibilities” (Milner, Milner, & Mitchell, 2012); this idea should be at the foundation a lesson plan if a teacher believes their role is to facilitate learning rather than administer it.
I agree with your thoughts on “prejudging” students and how it can be a problem for teachers. Having prior information is such a double-edged sword, both good and bad because like you mentioned, teachers should form their own opinions. Students are ever changing beings and teachers cannot just go off of what past teachers and faculty have said. Along with this, I really agreed with your thoughts on appreciating your students. The advice you took from Gere was something that I enjoyed reading as well; just because there are some aspects of people we do not agree with, does not mean we can write off the rest of them! Finally, chapter two of Bridging English helped to settle my nerves about differentiated instruction as well. Giving students a part in shaping the classroom learning is something that they will always appreciate. The quote you chose was such a great way to describe the point of questions. There is so much that goes into teaching, but if we can get it right, students will be able to benefit from the facilitation of their learning instead of just hearing a teacher mumble on and on!
I really responded to Milner’s description of lecture-style teaching. His criticism of lectures, that they “[remove] the locus of meaning-making from the student,” do not allow many students to “inwardly make their own connections,” and do not create “active, experiential, inductive” (26) learning environment, strikes me as true. I spent a year teaching English in Italy after college. The Italian school system relies heavily on lecture, much more than our system does. The teacher is the absolute source of knowledge, and their examinations amount to the student spitting back what the teacher has said in the past. From my point of view, Milner’s prediction bore out exactly. My Italian students could shout out basic facts, but asking them to form an opinion or make an analysis literally baffled them. You could see in their faces that having to reflect on what they were learning made them uncomfortable. This made my conversation-based classes extraordinarily difficult, often to the point of agony on my part. It only occurs to me now, having read this chapter, that maybe that agony wasn’t entirely the result of my faults as a teacher.
Russell’s chapter, which dealt largely with making impressions, made me put more thought into evaluating others. When discussing the first days of school, Russell says, “The first three days are difficult. The students will not even present their normal classroom behaviors to you in the first three days” (42). This statement made me think about the tension between how quickly a first impression forms and how important it is to reconsider those impressions over time. I know it’s easy for me to give a student who behaved well early on the benefit of the doubt when things change later. At the same time, I know I haven’t praised students enough when their behavior or performance improves over time. Russell’s own list of discipline strategies asks us to “check [our] own feelings about individual students” (50), and I think that’s a crucial tip.
I was amused by how much thought and anxiety seem to go into the way one enters a classroom, for both students and teachers. As Gere notes, “the way the students enter a classroom tells teachers a great deal about them” (47), and, in turn, the way the teacher enters tells the students a lot, too. This connects with Russell’s thoughts about first impressions. One’s gait or demeanor seems to give a lot away, but we also need to weigh superficial appearances against the person underneath that exterior.
Ian, I also found the analysis of an entrance amusing. It made me realize that we cannot just be teachers. We are also psychologist, counselors, and authority figures. We cannot just enter our classroom without taking time to think about our students as people. We have to be able to look at their behavior and think about the cause. In a way we are doctors and nurses too. We are diagnosticians, looking for the cause of this or that, and we are sometimes the solution. We have to be ready to come across a variety of personalities and personal views and realize that there will always be something new. We have to be people watchers. We have to be willing to devote time and effort to solving the puzzles that are our students. I think that as teachers we have to be willing to be all these things and more. I'm not saying we should bring a stethoscope to class or run into a burning building. I'm not suggesting that we are heroes or miracle workers. I'm saying we should recognize that we are all human and the only way to know how to reach our students is to get to know them.
Perhaps I just never stopped to think about it before, but it wasn’t until reading this week’s chapter in Bridging English that it occurred to me that the different types of in-class work actually scaffold themselves out of each other: lecture leads to whole-class discussion, which leads to small group work, which in turn leads to individual work. The way we structure our lessons must, therefore, be deliberately and carefully planned, and must feature as many different modalities as possible. The examples given in the chapter of all four types of in-class work (especially activities incorporating technology and modern social media) will be extremely helpful in preparing my own lessons. Also of note in this chapter are the references to Howard Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences (Milner & Milner, 2007, p. 17); it is important to remember that different people are intelligent in vastly different ways, and by extension learn in different ways.
This consideration is a good lead-in to Chapter 2 of Language and reflection: An Integrated Approach to Teaching English, which focuses on reading and reacting to the different needs of different students, in particular Yolanda, Pete, Jerrod, and Janet (Gere, Fairbanks, Howes, Roop, and Shaafsma, 1999, pp. 29 to 44). Getting to know all students so well that we can determine exactly what they need academically (and perhaps even socially and emotionally) seems to be a Herculean task, but the chapter provides valuable insights that make the challenge less daunting.
This theme of individual students with individual needs is even further explored in the passage from Classroom Assessment: Concepts and Applications, although it is no surprise that it focuses on how to use our knowledge of each student to assess them. A great deal of the techniques and suggestions in the chapter will prove essential when I begin teaching, although perhaps the most essential is the chapter’s continual reminder to reassess our opinions and personal feelings about our students throughout the school year: “We must not allow our ‘initial judgments’ of [our] students to remain stable over time” (Russell & Airasian, 2012, p. 38). We must, in the end, use early assessments to guide our lesson preparation and instruction, but we must not allow ourselves to make prejudgments about our students or allow ourselves to become rigid and inflexible with our planning.
Scott, I think you made some very valid points. I especially like how you referred to getting to know all your students as a "Herculean task" because that is exactly how I felt in reading the chapter. I think it can be relatively simple to get to know all your students superficially, such as who plays sports, who enjoys reading, who loves writing poetry, etc. However digging deeper and finding the information that really allows us as teachers to address individual needs seems to be much more difficult. This is especially challenging because sometimes these needs are tied to more personal information that students aren't open to sharing with their teachers. Despite all this however, I think if we put in even a minimal amount of effort, we will see results. Any tactics we employ to get to know our students will surely be better than nothing. And when we put forth the effort to get to know our students, our students will likely respond to such initiative on our part.
We read people every day. We watch as a mother chastises her child for not sitting still while she picks at her nails. We watch as the girl sitting next to us draws hearts on all her papers with the initials JC. We make assumptions based on this information. It is not unique to teaching. Reading students, though similar, has very specific informational goals in mind. When we watch a student stomp through the doorway and slam his books on his desk, we make the assumption that he is having a bad day. We try to keep an eye on him throughout the day to gather more information about his problem. Getting to know our students is one of the most important aspects of teaching. It allows us to make each lesson relevant to each student in the classroom. We can modify how we teach based upon how receptive students are or based upon how they learn. With information comes power. Every tidbit we gather about our students gives us more clues as to how to approach them from “the way students dress, their posture and body language” to “discussions in the hallways” and who they hang with (Russell 34). As teachers, we are trying to reach all of our students on several levels. With academics, we are trying to reach them on an intellectual level. With content and modifications, we are trying to reach them on a personal level. By knowing our students we are able to make changes and adjust how we teach.
I really liked the idea of keeping a teaching journal (Gere 54). We are constantly talking about having our students keep reading journals or writing journals, but I have never stopped to think about keeping a journal myself. The journal can be used to keep track of observations about students. It can be used to talk about the effectiveness of a lesson and why we think it failed. It allows us to reflect on our teaching. With reflection, we can review and revise our strategies and methods in the classroom. Reflection gives us a chance to really think about how effective we are in the classroom and it keeps us from being the teacher that presents the same material the same way every year. It gives us a chance to grow. It can also be a means to motivate our students. Some students may find journaling tedious and boring, but if we show our students that we journal too they may be more inclined to do it.
I like the idea of keeping a teaching journal as well; it combines nicely with the method of taking “field notes” as a form of assessment that was presented in Chapter 4 of Content Area Reading this week (I know, I know… different class). I also think that your point about using the journal to model the behavior is a good one. In one of our classes (I don’t remember which), it was mentioned that when a teacher assigns students a task, such as SSR or journaling, it is best that the teacher not use it as an opportunity to correct or lesson plan, rather, one should validate the activity by doing the same thing themselves. Journals can help us assess ourselves and our students and cause us to more deeply reflect on our process as teachers. Even when something seems to work, there is always room for improvement, or a teacher may find that it won’t be as successful the following year with a completely different set of students. How useful it would be to have the ability to reread your thoughts and ideas from the year before rather than rely on memory alone.
Chapter 2 of Language and Reflection began with a lesson on “loving students as learners” (p. 28). I really liked this concept because it encourages teachers to focus on the positive aspects of their students’ work. I especially felt as though this applied with the first case study, Yolanda. The drafts of her writing showed a lot of areas for improvement. However, after reading this chapter I could see the strengths in her writing. I think it would be important for teachers to emphasize what is really working well, especially if they want to encourage students to continue writing and improving. Yolanda’s case is likely similar to that of many students; she has many aspects of grammar that she needs to work on. When I was younger and I had to do peer editing work in high school, I would have marked up the entire paper. And with work like Yolanda’s, I would have underlined entire sentences and write phrases like “this isn’t working.” A responsive teacher however, could choose one aspect with which the whole class is struggling. The entire class could do practice on that one lesson, similar to our grammar mini lessons. The focus of writing for that week would be to improve in that one area. That way no students feel as if there is a personal attack on their writing. They also won’t be overwhelmed with too many things to fix.
Yolanda’s writing also has allowed the teacher to get to know her as an individual, which was the premise of chapter 2 of Classroom Assessment. In the very first class I took as part of my education minor, Educational Psychology, knowing your students became the main emphasis. As I have observed classes and reflected upon my own experiences with teachers, I have found many ways to accomplish this early on. Teachers can do questionnaires or activities while taking attendance. Games and journals also are useful. When used effectively, these activities make the classroom climate more fun and inviting, and they also really help teachers to get to know their students.
One thing teachers would not want to have interfere with their getting to know their students however, would be prejudgement. This can be detrimental to the student as it can negatively impact the way in which a teacher assesses the student. Essentially, teachers should go in with minds as open as possible to avoid prejudging their students (Russell, Airasian, p. 39).
You make a lot of good points. I absolutely agree with your comments about student writing; most, if not all, of the time, student writing will be riddled with mistakes in grammar, punctuation, spelling, and syntax. It is, then, not only illogical but also utterly absurd to pick apart every one of these error’s in student compositions. As you said, the smart way to go about it is to focus on one or two specific points per piece. Perhaps if (for example) we give two grammar mini-lessons a week, we can check student writing that week for those particular issues. But it is all too easy for Grammar Nazis like us (admit it – you’re one too!) to simply edit papers rather than actually assessing them. Editing and circling mistakes is so much easier than evaluating bigger picture items like story comprehension and thematic understanding. The first question we should always be asking ourselves isn’t “Does this paper have any grammatical errors?” but instead “Does this paper show that the student understands the main ideas and themes we’re trying to convey?”
In this chapter I really took a lot from the section on “layering the four approaches” and “learning stations.” Last year I was able to work for Jumpstart, an AmeriCorps program that works in low-income areas with preschool children. Like the text mentions, stations are seen in elementary school settings. Why not bring this to the high school level though? This gives students somewhat of a say in their learning and it allows teachers to work one on one with students and see where they are in their learning. I also liked that the text emphasized that, “teachers need to open themselves to imagining a variety in their classrooms and to layering the four approaches (lecture, whole-class discussion, group work, and individual work) within any one lesson” (Milner, Milner & Mitchell, 2012, p. 46).
Russell Chapter Two
This chapter was great to read and I came back to my blog post to comment on something that was said in our writing class this Tuesday, that assessment is a way for a teacher to plan. Teachers need to know where their students are in the learning so that they can plan for future lessons and class work. I had never fully thought of assessment as something that a teacher needed to do for their own benefit; it always seemed to be for judging the students. Coming from a teacher’s perspective I have a whole new view. The chapter mentions that, “by the end of the first or second week of school, most teachers have sized up their students and classes and can provide fairly detailed descriptions of student characteristics” (Russell & Airasian, 2012, p. 34). I recall reading that this is not a good thing: teachers making assumptions about students based on the first few weeks of school. Students are constantly changing and growing; adolescence is a time for them to learn and grow. By making judgments on students this early in the game, teachers will have preconceived ideas for the rest of the year that may not continue to fit the student. We need to be ready for constant change as teachers.
Gere Chapter Two
All of the student examples in this chapter were so interesting and fun to read about. Each student was different and had individual needs and wants. One thing that Gere mentions in this chapter that I wish became a main thought on teaching is, “your primary obligation as a teacher is to coach the student’s performance, nurturing self-confidence and literacy skills” (Gere et al., 1992, p. 46). So much emphasis is placed on testing and exams that the shaping of the students is lost. To be able to bring that back to the forefront would be a great goal of mine as a teacher.
I had the same experience reading this chapter in Russell. As a student I had never thought about what the teacher could gain from an assessment. I thought it was just a way to judge our merits. Like you say, now that I have a teacher's perspective I see that judging a student's merit works in two directions. It's interesting how different the field of education seems when you examine it from the teacher's point of view.
I'd also like to focus less on testing in my classroom and more on shaping students. I'm leaning toward middle school and early high school right now, but I wonder if teaching older students (juniors and seniors) might have its advantage in that MCAS is already done with. That allows for more variety and hopefully more interesting lessons.
Today’s classroom is a diverse environment comprised of students with varying learning abilities, behaviors, interests, cultures, and beliefs. It is the job of the teacher, according to Milner et al. in Chapter Two of Bridging English (2012), to try to incorporate learning techniques into lessons that can engage each student in his or her classroom. Therefore, it is important to learn how to effectively organize instruction in such ways that will capture and maintain the attention of students depending on the lesson. Milner et al. discuss four different methods of instruction: lecture, whole-class discussion, group work, and individual work. By using these strategies in various combinations, teachers can blend the social aspects of learning present in discussion and group work with the cognitive and one-on-one features of lecture and individual work (Milner et al., 2012, p. 46).
ReplyDeleteJust as it is important to engage students in ways in which they require, it is also vital to perform early assessment in the first few days of school to determine how to teach to a class. Russell and Araisian (2012) remark that such assessment is vital for preventing a “disorganized, disruptive, and unresponsive class… in which communication and learning are inhibited” (p. 32). Early assessment can often take place informally, but teachers may use other resources as well such as prior student portfolios, IEPs, or early skills tests. Teachers can then apply their observations gained from these early assessments not only in formulating lesson plans, but also to help students use their varying sets of intelligences (i.e. musical, linguistic, interpersonal, etc.) to their fullest potentials (Gere, Fairbanks, Howes, Roop, & Shaafsma, 1992).
One passage that really struck me while I was reading was the section that discusses gifted students. Milner et al. (2012) cite an passage from Callahan, Tomlinson, Reis, and Kaplan (2000) in which they argue that “secondary schools often focus so much attention on struggling students that the instructional needs of the highest achieving students are overlooked” (p. 21). I found this idea interesting because in a meeting with my high school principal and vice principals, I remember my mom accusing them of the same offense. Though I never thought the administration and teacher focused more on the struggling students on purpose, it seemed unfair. However, because teachers had to focus on the behavioral issues and learning speed of these students, I am not sure they could afford to give more attention to the higher achievers.
Kate,
DeleteI like what you wrote about gifted students and your personal experience with it. I think that schools generally have a difficult enough time working the struggling students and in dealing with behavioral issues that it’s almost impossible for them to get around to helping higher achieving students. It is easier to overlook those students who are doing fine; they appear to not be having any trouble and if they are not struggling, they are able to function independently and they will graduate on time; so what is the problem? I do not think schools do this on purpose; it is something that is easy to glance over and is ultimately low on the priority list because there appear to be no problems. I think that it is becoming more of the teacher’s problem when it comes to deciding what to do with high achieving students. They are usually the ones who are able identify them and have little support in learning how they can best help these students while keeping up with the rest of their diverse classroom.
Milner 2: Bridging English
ReplyDeleteAs I know I've mentioned before, the idea of designing instruction and curriculum terrifies me. The second chapter in Bridging English helped to point out the most important factors when planning curriculum:
1. Teachers must identify the desired outcome of instruction.
2. Teachers must determine ways to document and validate the successful achievement of those outcomes.
3. Teachers must plan learning experiences that will help students successfully reach learning goals. (Milner, 2012; 18-19).
The most important step is that first one- understanding where you want your students to be; that is what ultimately matters most.
It was very helpful to see some examples of strong summary questions and comprehensive questions that actually go along with what students might be thinking after reading, like what the title has to do with the story, etc. (Milner, 2012; 35).
Gere 2: Language and Reflection
If I handed out a reading assignment and I read Yolanda’s story about her pregnant friend stabbing her in 6th grade... (Gere, 1992; 30-31). It would be hard to choose where to start in attempting to deal with that. I would definitely have a hard time simply fixing the paper and handing it back without trying to talk about what happened to her. I think this proves that we need to be observant of our students, to know and understand them as well as we can. I liked the section about experienced teachers and how they observe students from the moment they walk into school (Gere, 1992; 47-50).
1. How do the students enter the classroom?
2. Where do students choose to sit?
3. How do they sit?
4. What is the disposition of the class today?
5. Are the students prepared for class?
6. Is there anything unusual about their physical appearance?
All these questions will help us understand what is going on with our students today and how we can proceed in trying to teach them.
Russell 2: Classroom Assessment
“A class is a society, a social system, made up of people who communicate with one another, pursue common and individual goals, and follow rules of order.” (Russell, 2012; 29). I think this quote from the text sums up what teachers need to keep in mind when learning about their classes. This is how it needs to operate if you’re going to get anywhere, and early assessment is the key to that. “If early assessment is not done well, a disorganized, disruptive, unresponsive class is likely to develop, one in which communication and learning are inhibited (Russell, 2012; 32). I barely remember anything from 6th grade because my class was so unruly. It was very difficult to learn when a majority of the class was always causing chaos. We made substitute teachers cry. Halfway through the year they separated our class, trying to remove some of the more troublesome kids and place them in classes where they had fewer partners in crime.
Briana:
DeleteI think it would be a lie if one of us said we were not nervous about planning instruction for our future classrooms. It is a big responsibility! How do you possibly plan to keep 20-30 students busy for an entire class period? There are so many “what-ifs” that could interrupt a plan and this is what makes us worried. You helpfully emphasize three effective practices referred to in Bridging English that all teachers should bear in mind while planning. By keeping in mind the goals you want your students to accomplish at the end of a lesson, you can better tailor the lesson to fit those objectives while also remaining open to changes or inspired “teachable moments” that may occur in the classroom.
I also agree with what you say in your third section in response to Chapter Two in Classroom Assessment. It is indeed quite difficult to focus on learning in a classroom full of disruptive students. While early assessment can help teachers understand the needs of their students, I am personally a little nervous about trying to teach classes with uncontrollable students. Is there a secret to dealing with these classrooms? I was always awed by teachers who just seemed to magically “have it all together.”
Having recently started my prepracticum observations it is interesting to reflect on how teachers are using the methods introduced in our textbooks into their classrooms. One of the teachers I observed last week specifically mentioned the ongoing process of getting to know his students at the beginning of the year, and the difficulty of scaffolding instruction to meet everyone’s needs without yet knowing what those needs are. My reading of Chapter 2 of Russell and Airasian’s Classroom Assessment was definitely timely as the question of early assessments was on my mind. I appreciate the wisdom that although teachers need to develop an understanding of who their students are rather quickly, it is important to avoid “prejudging” them incorrectly. I especially understand their assertion about the danger of prior information (Russell & Airasian, 2012, p. 43). Teachers should form their opinions about their students based on their own current and consistent experience.
ReplyDeleteI also found the insight about loving students vs. loving students as learners in Language & Reflection thought provoking. I do feel that it is important that teachers express a general appreciation for not only their profession, but their students as well. However, I am sure it is common to encounter student personalities that are like “nails on a chalkboard” throughout one’s career. Embracing students as learners rather than focusing on aspects of their personalities that clash with one’s own preferences sound good advice (Gere et al., 1992, p. 28).
Sometimes, the prospect of differentiation seems far too cumbersome a task for one inexperienced teacher. At the beginning of Chapter 2 in Bridging English I questioned how I would be able to successfully integrate the Theory of Multiple Intelligences into my lesson planning, but the book is very helpful in coming up with strategies and options for doing so. A variety of learning needs calls for a variety of activities; independent and group learning can be tailored for every student if you give them an active role in their own education. I have come to realize that a teacher’s role is not to simply provide students with access to and interpretation of literature, but to inspire creative and critical thought processes. On page 35 there is a quote that stood out to me; it points out that discussion and questions acting as “instruments to open engaged minds to unsuspected possibilities” (Milner, Milner, & Mitchell, 2012); this idea should be at the foundation a lesson plan if a teacher believes their role is to facilitate learning rather than administer it.
Hi Trish!
DeleteI agree with your thoughts on “prejudging” students and how it can be a problem for teachers. Having prior information is such a double-edged sword, both good and bad because like you mentioned, teachers should form their own opinions. Students are ever changing beings and teachers cannot just go off of what past teachers and faculty have said. Along with this, I really agreed with your thoughts on appreciating your students. The advice you took from Gere was something that I enjoyed reading as well; just because there are some aspects of people we do not agree with, does not mean we can write off the rest of them! Finally, chapter two of Bridging English helped to settle my nerves about differentiated instruction as well. Giving students a part in shaping the classroom learning is something that they will always appreciate. The quote you chose was such a great way to describe the point of questions. There is so much that goes into teaching, but if we can get it right, students will be able to benefit from the facilitation of their learning instead of just hearing a teacher mumble on and on!
I really responded to Milner’s description of lecture-style teaching. His criticism of lectures, that they “[remove] the locus of meaning-making from the student,” do not allow many students to “inwardly make their own connections,” and do not create “active, experiential, inductive” (26) learning environment, strikes me as true. I spent a year teaching English in Italy after college. The Italian school system relies heavily on lecture, much more than our system does. The teacher is the absolute source of knowledge, and their examinations amount to the student spitting back what the teacher has said in the past. From my point of view, Milner’s prediction bore out exactly. My Italian students could shout out basic facts, but asking them to form an opinion or make an analysis literally baffled them. You could see in their faces that having to reflect on what they were learning made them uncomfortable. This made my conversation-based classes extraordinarily difficult, often to the point of agony on my part. It only occurs to me now, having read this chapter, that maybe that agony wasn’t entirely the result of my faults as a teacher.
ReplyDeleteRussell’s chapter, which dealt largely with making impressions, made me put more thought into evaluating others. When discussing the first days of school, Russell says, “The first three days are difficult. The students will not even present their normal classroom behaviors to you in the first three days” (42). This statement made me think about the tension between how quickly a first impression forms and how important it is to reconsider those impressions over time. I know it’s easy for me to give a student who behaved well early on the benefit of the doubt when things change later. At the same time, I know I haven’t praised students enough when their behavior or performance improves over time. Russell’s own list of discipline strategies asks us to “check [our] own feelings about individual students” (50), and I think that’s a crucial tip.
I was amused by how much thought and anxiety seem to go into the way one enters a classroom, for both students and teachers. As Gere notes, “the way the students enter a classroom tells teachers a great deal about them” (47), and, in turn, the way the teacher enters tells the students a lot, too. This connects with Russell’s thoughts about first impressions. One’s gait or demeanor seems to give a lot away, but we also need to weigh superficial appearances against the person underneath that exterior.
Ian,
DeleteI also found the analysis of an entrance amusing. It made me realize that we cannot just be teachers. We are also psychologist, counselors, and authority figures. We cannot just enter our classroom without taking time to think about our students as people. We have to be able to look at their behavior and think about the cause. In a way we are doctors and nurses too. We are diagnosticians, looking for the cause of this or that, and we are sometimes the solution. We have to be ready to come across a variety of personalities and personal views and realize that there will always be something new. We have to be people watchers. We have to be willing to devote time and effort to solving the puzzles that are our students. I think that as teachers we have to be willing to be all these things and more. I'm not saying we should bring a stethoscope to class or run into a burning building. I'm not suggesting that we are heroes or miracle workers. I'm saying we should recognize that we are all human and the only way to know how to reach our students is to get to know them.
Perhaps I just never stopped to think about it before, but it wasn’t until reading this week’s chapter in Bridging English that it occurred to me that the different types of in-class work actually scaffold themselves out of each other: lecture leads to whole-class discussion, which leads to small group work, which in turn leads to individual work. The way we structure our lessons must, therefore, be deliberately and carefully planned, and must feature as many different modalities as possible. The examples given in the chapter of all four types of in-class work (especially activities incorporating technology and modern social media) will be extremely helpful in preparing my own lessons. Also of note in this chapter are the references to Howard Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences (Milner & Milner, 2007, p. 17); it is important to remember that different people are intelligent in vastly different ways, and by extension learn in different ways.
ReplyDeleteThis consideration is a good lead-in to Chapter 2 of Language and reflection: An Integrated Approach to Teaching English, which focuses on reading and reacting to the different needs of different students, in particular Yolanda, Pete, Jerrod, and Janet (Gere, Fairbanks, Howes, Roop, and Shaafsma, 1999, pp. 29 to 44). Getting to know all students so well that we can determine exactly what they need academically (and perhaps even socially and emotionally) seems to be a Herculean task, but the chapter provides valuable insights that make the challenge less daunting.
This theme of individual students with individual needs is even further explored in the passage from Classroom Assessment: Concepts and Applications, although it is no surprise that it focuses on how to use our knowledge of each student to assess them. A great deal of the techniques and suggestions in the chapter will prove essential when I begin teaching, although perhaps the most essential is the chapter’s continual reminder to reassess our opinions and personal feelings about our students throughout the school year: “We must not allow our ‘initial judgments’ of [our] students to remain stable over time” (Russell & Airasian, 2012, p. 38). We must, in the end, use early assessments to guide our lesson preparation and instruction, but we must not allow ourselves to make prejudgments about our students or allow ourselves to become rigid and inflexible with our planning.
Scott, I think you made some very valid points. I especially like how you referred to getting to know all your students as a "Herculean task" because that is exactly how I felt in reading the chapter. I think it can be relatively simple to get to know all your students superficially, such as who plays sports, who enjoys reading, who loves writing poetry, etc. However digging deeper and finding the information that really allows us as teachers to address individual needs seems to be much more difficult. This is especially challenging because sometimes these needs are tied to more personal information that students aren't open to sharing with their teachers. Despite all this however, I think if we put in even a minimal amount of effort, we will see results. Any tactics we employ to get to know our students will surely be better than nothing. And when we put forth the effort to get to know our students, our students will likely respond to such initiative on our part.
DeleteReading Kids to Get Kids Reading
ReplyDeleteWe read people every day. We watch as a mother chastises her child for not sitting still while she picks at her nails. We watch as the girl sitting next to us draws hearts on all her papers with the initials JC. We make assumptions based on this information. It is not unique to teaching. Reading students, though similar, has very specific informational goals in mind. When we watch a student stomp through the doorway and slam his books on his desk, we make the assumption that he is having a bad day. We try to keep an eye on him throughout the day to gather more information about his problem. Getting to know our students is one of the most important aspects of teaching. It allows us to make each lesson relevant to each student in the classroom. We can modify how we teach based upon how receptive students are or based upon how they learn. With information comes power. Every tidbit we gather about our students gives us more clues as to how to approach them from “the way students dress, their posture and body language” to “discussions in the hallways” and who they hang with (Russell 34). As teachers, we are trying to reach all of our students on several levels. With academics, we are trying to reach them on an intellectual level. With content and modifications, we are trying to reach them on a personal level. By knowing our students we are able to make changes and adjust how we teach.
I really liked the idea of keeping a teaching journal (Gere 54). We are constantly talking about having our students keep reading journals or writing journals, but I have never stopped to think about keeping a journal myself. The journal can be used to keep track of observations about students. It can be used to talk about the effectiveness of a lesson and why we think it failed. It allows us to reflect on our teaching. With reflection, we can review and revise our strategies and methods in the classroom. Reflection gives us a chance to really think about how effective we are in the classroom and it keeps us from being the teacher that presents the same material the same way every year. It gives us a chance to grow. It can also be a means to motivate our students. Some students may find journaling tedious and boring, but if we show our students that we journal too they may be more inclined to do it.
Olivia,
DeleteI like the idea of keeping a teaching journal as well; it combines nicely with the method of taking “field notes” as a form of assessment that was presented in Chapter 4 of Content Area Reading this week (I know, I know… different class). I also think that your point about using the journal to model the behavior is a good one. In one of our classes (I don’t remember which), it was mentioned that when a teacher assigns students a task, such as SSR or journaling, it is best that the teacher not use it as an opportunity to correct or lesson plan, rather, one should validate the activity by doing the same thing themselves. Journals can help us assess ourselves and our students and cause us to more deeply reflect on our process as teachers. Even when something seems to work, there is always room for improvement, or a teacher may find that it won’t be as successful the following year with a completely different set of students. How useful it would be to have the ability to reread your thoughts and ideas from the year before rather than rely on memory alone.
~Trish
Chapter 2 of Language and Reflection began with a lesson on “loving students as learners” (p. 28). I really liked this concept because it encourages teachers to focus on the positive aspects of their students’ work. I especially felt as though this applied with the first case study, Yolanda. The drafts of her writing showed a lot of areas for improvement. However, after reading this chapter I could see the strengths in her writing. I think it would be important for teachers to emphasize what is really working well, especially if they want to encourage students to continue writing and improving. Yolanda’s case is likely similar to that of many students; she has many aspects of grammar that she needs to work on. When I was younger and I had to do peer editing work in high school, I would have marked up the entire paper. And with work like Yolanda’s, I would have underlined entire sentences and write phrases like “this isn’t working.” A responsive teacher however, could choose one aspect with which the whole class is struggling. The entire class could do practice on that one lesson, similar to our grammar mini lessons. The focus of writing for that week would be to improve in that one area. That way no students feel as if there is a personal attack on their writing. They also won’t be overwhelmed with too many things to fix.
ReplyDeleteYolanda’s writing also has allowed the teacher to get to know her as an individual, which was the premise of chapter 2 of Classroom Assessment. In the very first class I took as part of my education minor, Educational Psychology, knowing your students became the main emphasis. As I have observed classes and reflected upon my own experiences with teachers, I have found many ways to accomplish this early on. Teachers can do questionnaires or activities while taking attendance. Games and journals also are useful. When used effectively, these activities make the classroom climate more fun and inviting, and they also really help teachers to get to know their students.
One thing teachers would not want to have interfere with their getting to know their students however, would be prejudgement. This can be detrimental to the student as it can negatively impact the way in which a teacher assesses the student. Essentially, teachers should go in with minds as open as possible to avoid prejudging their students (Russell, Airasian, p. 39).
Cassandra,
DeleteYou make a lot of good points. I absolutely agree with your comments about student writing; most, if not all, of the time, student writing will be riddled with mistakes in grammar, punctuation, spelling, and syntax. It is, then, not only illogical but also utterly absurd to pick apart every one of these error’s in student compositions. As you said, the smart way to go about it is to focus on one or two specific points per piece. Perhaps if (for example) we give two grammar mini-lessons a week, we can check student writing that week for those particular issues. But it is all too easy for Grammar Nazis like us (admit it – you’re one too!) to simply edit papers rather than actually assessing them. Editing and circling mistakes is so much easier than evaluating bigger picture items like story comprehension and thematic understanding. The first question we should always be asking ourselves isn’t “Does this paper have any grammatical errors?” but instead “Does this paper show that the student understands the main ideas and themes we’re trying to convey?”
Ok, I admit it - I am a Grammar Nazi! That's why this chapter was so helpful! :)
DeleteAnd that question, "Does this paper show that the student understands the main ideas and themes we're trying to convey?" is a great way to start.
Agreed!
DeleteMilner Chapter Two
ReplyDeleteIn this chapter I really took a lot from the section on “layering the four approaches” and “learning stations.” Last year I was able to work for Jumpstart, an AmeriCorps program that works in low-income areas with preschool children. Like the text mentions, stations are seen in elementary school settings. Why not bring this to the high school level though? This gives students somewhat of a say in their learning and it allows teachers to work one on one with students and see where they are in their learning. I also liked that the text emphasized that, “teachers need to open themselves to imagining a variety in their classrooms and to layering the four approaches (lecture, whole-class discussion, group work, and individual work) within any one lesson” (Milner, Milner & Mitchell, 2012, p. 46).
Russell Chapter Two
This chapter was great to read and I came back to my blog post to comment on something that was said in our writing class this Tuesday, that assessment is a way for a teacher to plan. Teachers need to know where their students are in the learning so that they can plan for future lessons and class work. I had never fully thought of assessment as something that a teacher needed to do for their own benefit; it always seemed to be for judging the students. Coming from a teacher’s perspective I have a whole new view. The chapter mentions that, “by the end of the first or second week of school, most teachers have sized up their students and classes and can provide fairly detailed descriptions of student characteristics” (Russell & Airasian, 2012, p. 34). I recall reading that this is not a good thing: teachers making assumptions about students based on the first few weeks of school. Students are constantly changing and growing; adolescence is a time for them to learn and grow. By making judgments on students this early in the game, teachers will have preconceived ideas for the rest of the year that may not continue to fit the student. We need to be ready for constant change as teachers.
Gere Chapter Two
All of the student examples in this chapter were so interesting and fun to read about. Each student was different and had individual needs and wants. One thing that Gere mentions in this chapter that I wish became a main thought on teaching is, “your primary obligation as a teacher is to coach the student’s performance, nurturing self-confidence and literacy skills” (Gere et al., 1992, p. 46). So much emphasis is placed on testing and exams that the shaping of the students is lost. To be able to bring that back to the forefront would be a great goal of mine as a teacher.
Rae,
DeleteI had the same experience reading this chapter in Russell. As a student I had never thought about what the teacher could gain from an assessment. I thought it was just a way to judge our merits. Like you say, now that I have a teacher's perspective I see that judging a student's merit works in two directions. It's interesting how different the field of education seems when you examine it from the teacher's point of view.
I'd also like to focus less on testing in my classroom and more on shaping students. I'm leaning toward middle school and early high school right now, but I wonder if teaching older students (juniors and seniors) might have its advantage in that MCAS is already done with. That allows for more variety and hopefully more interesting lessons.